Monday, July 6, 2009

Going to Grandma's...

So, Grandma Jean lives in an assisted living apartment. I know a lot of people are like "I would never put my mom/dad/grandma/grandpa/old person in a rest home. That's so mean and they will be mistreated" but I have seen a couple of those really sad pitiful depressing "rest homes" and Jean doesn't live at one of those. It's really a pretty sweet set up for her. They aren't mean to her, and she'll actually ask them for help with stuff because she is paying them to help her. And pretty much everything is taken care of - you get your meals, entertainment, drugs, everything - even cocktail parties. Yeah! With actual cocktails and beer and live music and everything! And they've got some fancy buffet's too y'all! And those cute little half sized soda cans. (When we were there for the St. Patrick's Day party, there was an old lady hoarding the little soda cans in her walker to take back to her room. A whole bunch of them. And she wasn't being very covert, either. Like they wouldn't bring her a baby soda if she asked for it.) The only thing is that Grandma Jean never invites us over for these things! She must be embarrassed of us. I think I may have to just start inviting myself. I'll make note of the next party - and just haul Grandma's butt down for a snack and a beer. It's free fun! If you have a relative who is staying in a retirement apartment (as Grandpa calls his place) go have some free fun at their happy hour. Most places have these parties a couple times a month, and they have adult beverages if you are lucky. Plus I guess it gives me an excuse to visit Grandma, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment